Kara Johansen BS RDH
If your dentist said that there was a procedure he/she could do to prevent and reverse cavities would you do it?
Well, guess what, there is such a procedure! As a hygienist I would have appointments that were very frustrating. These patients use mouthwash, brush two times a day, floss 2 times a day, they don’t rinse out their toothpaste, they come to their 6 month appointments, have great nutritional habits, don’t smoke or drink, and don’t take medications. However, some of these fabulous patients still get cavities. Then the dentist says that he/she is going to “watch” the tooth hoping that through good oral hygiene habits it will get better. Most of the time, honestly, the “watch” areas do not resolve. Finally we found a solution. This miracle procedure is made possible by MI Paste Plus aka Tooth in a Tube.
What is MI Paste?
Besides good oral hygiene our body has ways of remineralizing or strengthening our teeth. In our saliva we naturally have Calcium and Phosphate. These are minerals like fluoride and can reverse small cavities. However, when we have habits that decrease saliva flow and the mouth becomes more acidic. MI Paste is a product that helps balance out the decrease in saliva and acidity of the mouth. MI Paste has Calcium and Phosphate and MI Paste Plus has fluoride.
- MI Paste and MI Paste Plus (with fluoride) contain RECALDENT™ (CPP-ACP); Casein Phosphopeptide (CPP) are natural occurring molecules which are able to release calcium and phosphate ions and stabilize Amorphous Calcium Phosphate (ACP)
- RECALDENT™ (CPP-ACP) is milk derived with lactose content less than 0.01%*
- MI Paste and MI Paste Plus are water-based, sugar-free topical tooth crèmes
- 5 Flavors melon, mint, strawberry, tutti-frutti and vanilla
Who benefits from MI Past Plus?
When a patient comes into our chair we access their cavity risk level. Here is the list of low risk patients.
- Fluroide exposure
- Occasional sugary foods and drinks at meal time
- No cavities in mother, care give/or siblings for past 24 months (for patients ages 6-14)
- Has a dental home- patient of record, recieves regular dental care
- No special Health care needs
- No Chemo/Radiation Therapy
- No Eating disorders
- No Medications that reduce Salivary Flow
- No drug or alcohol abuse
- No tobacco/electronic cigarette
- No new carious lesions
- No missing teeth in past 36 months
- No visible plaque
- No unusual teeth shapes
- No fillings between the teeth
- No exposed root surfaces
- No fillings with a large ledge
- No spaces where food gets caught
- No braces
- No dry mouth
After a patient has been given a risk level the clinician will decide if they are eligible for MI Paste Plus. Looking at the low risk evaluation most people would say yes to one or more of the list above. If you have said yes to one of the above listed items you are at high risk for cavities. Most people would benefit from MI Paste Plus.
What can MI Paste Plus do for You?
- reduce sensitivity
- reduce symptoms of xerostomia (dry mouth) : medications, medical conditions, chemotherapy, decreased salivary gland function, smoking, drug use, and stress
- it can help remineralize weak enamel
- remove white spot lesions. Your dentist can also use MI paste Plus to remove weak enamel and white spot lesions on the teeth with a process called enamel microbrasion. Ask one of our Dentists about this procedure.
How to Apply? (from the MI Paste web site)
- Brush with a fluoride toothpaste in the morning and at night
- Apply a pea-sized amount of MI Paste to your teeth’s surface using a cotton swab or gloved finger
- Leave undisturbed for 3 minutes
- Expectorate (spit) but do not rinse; leave the excess to slowly dissolveIt’s that simple!Your dentist will likely use one of the following methods to apply MI Paste/MI Paste Plus:Custom Tray Application:
- Fill a custom tray with MI Paste
- Place it in your mouth
- Leave undisturbed for 3 minutes
- Remove tray and spread remaining MI Paste over tooth surfaces with a gloved finger
Where do I purchase MI Paste?
MI paste cannot be purchased at your pharmacy or local grocery store. You can buy MI Paste Plus from your Dentist or on amazon.com.
Want to learn more? Visit us at